And there will be a lot of smoke to cut through in the next few posts. Much of what we will touch on has to do with many of the current lies, deceptions, and ignorance many politicians, including this President,have been spewing regarding gun control and terrorism, two topics that this President seem to want to link together to his political gain.
If you have an inability to believe that guns are anything but evil or that this President always stays in integrity, than do not waste your time reading any further. The numbers we will be reviewing come from reputable sources, often from the Obama administration itself, and these numbers will prove that the American political class only use facts when they fit their political aims and schemes.
1) Gun control people like Obama always take a simplistic and naive approach to guns: if only if we banned guns then life would be wonderful and crime free. The closest they come to that vision is in the city of Chicago, and surrounding county, which has some of the strictest gun control and prohibitions in the country. Thus, they must be almost crime free, right? Wrong. According to a recent Chicago Tribune article:
- As of November 23, 2015, there had been 2,703 shootings in Chicago this year, the gun control capital of the country.
- This comes out to over 8 shootings a day.
- This is about 400 more shootings than the same period last year.
- As of November 23, 2015, there have been 440 shooting deaths in Chicago, the gun control capital of the country.
- This comes out to 1.3 shooting deaths a day.
- In just the weekend prior to November 23, 11 people in Chicago, the gun capital of the country, were shot and 5 were killed.
- In 2014, Chicago put in place a so-called “violence tax” which placed a tax on every gun and bullet sold within the city, a tax that had already been put in place in the surrounding county around Chicago.
- Despite this tax, shooting deaths in 2014 went up by 19 to 434 for the whole year, a number that has already been exceeded in 2015 with over a month left to go.
2) We covered this embarrassment before but the numbers contained in this story are worth repeating. A recent audit by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the people and organization that is supposed to keep us safe from terrorists, as reported by the Washington Free Beacon, found that at least 72 DHS employees are also listed on the U.S. terrorist watch list.
Congressman Stephen Lynch, a Democrat from Massachusetts, stated that a Congressional investigation found this glaring reality: “Back in August, we did an investigation—the inspector general did—of the Department of Homeland Security, and they had 72 individuals that were on the terrorist watch list that were actually working at the Department of Homeland Security.The [former DHS] director had to resign because of that.”
What makes this number and scandal so important is the reality that Obama says that his administration can accurately identify and keep potential terrorists out of the country who might try to sneak in as a Syrian refugee. But, if the administration has already hired 72 would-be terrorists to work for the Federal government, does he really think we believe he can screen thousands of people from the Middle East before they get into the country? Or does the DHS plan to hire those people also?
3) According to the Self Reliance Central website, several years ago, immediately after the schools shootings in Newtown, Connecticut, Obama gave the Centers For Disease Control (CDC) $10 million to do research on gun violence and suggest ways to reduce it. The person he put in charge of the effort was Dr. Mark Rosenberg, who is probably not a member of the NRA, given his view on guns, as quoted in the Washington Post: “We need to revolutionize the way we look at guns, like what we did with cigarettes. Now [smoking] is dirty, deadly and banned.”
However, study results include the following realities:
- The overall conclusion of the study was that “armed citizens were less likely to be harmed by an attacker.” $10 million to find this out by the way.
- The study report went on to say that “defensive gun uses by victims are at least as common as offensive uses by criminals,” with estimates of annual uses ranging from about 500,000 to more than 3 million per year…in the context of about 300,000 violent crimes involving firearms in 2008. In other words, more people use guns to defend themselves by a wide margin, every year, than criminals use to commit violent crimes.
- Mass shootings of the type that occurred in Newtown accounted for a very tiny fraction of all gun related deaths.
- Since 1983, there have been 78 events in which 4 or more people were killed by a single perp, resulting in 547 deaths and 476 injured people. This comes out to just over 2 mass shooting events per year, less than 17 deaths per year, and just over 14 injuries per year from mass shootings.
- Contrast these numbers with the reality that about 46,000 drug addicts die every year from their addictions, about 35,000 Americans are killed every year from auto accidents, about 41,000 Americans commit suicide every year, about 29,000 die from alcohol related maladies, and about 1,500 American kids die from child abuse every year.
- From another perspective, more Americans kids die from child abuse in ONE year than the total number of Americans have died in mass shootings in the past 33 years.
- According to the FBI’s Uniform Crime Reporting Program, 68,720 people were murdered in firearm-related violence between 2007 and 2011, about 17,000 people a year, substantially less than the number of people that die every year from auto accidents, drug addictions, suicide, and alcohol.
The only rational explanation for Obama taking such an interest in gun violence is not because of the lives lost but because he wants to disarm Americans, giving the government and political class that much more control over our freedom and liberties.
4) The Washington Examiner recently ran graph that showed the murder rate per 100,000 people in the country over the years. A couple of observations:
- The U.S. murder rate has been declining steadily and quickly since peaking in 1980.
- After leveling off during the latter Bush years, it started another steep decline since Obama took office.
- The murder rate is now less than half of what it was in 1980.
Now consider the following chart from Bloomberg News:
Thus, from 2008 until 2013, which includes the first four years of the Obama administration, the number of guns sold every year steadily increased at the same time that the murder rate was plummeting. The number of annual gun sales went from 7.1 million in 2008, the year before the Obama administration to 13.4 million in 2012, an 89% increase while the murder rate was dropping almost every year.
So what did the numbers tell us today:
- The murder rate is going down as gun sales are going up.
- Obama is spending $10 million to research a tiny cause of deaths in this country, mass shootings, while other causes of death kill a lot more Americans every year.
- The Obama administration has hired 72 people that are on the terrorist watch list but still insist that they can screen out terrorists from Syrian refugees thousands of miles away.
- Chicago’s murder and violence rate shows that gun control does not control criminals or crime.
More numbers tomorrow.
It is also available online at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Please pass our message of freedom onward. Let your friends and family know about our websites and blogs, ask your library to carry the book, and respect freedom for both yourselves and others everyday.
Please visit the following sites for freedom:
Term Limits Now: http://www.howmuchworsecoulditget.com