The numbers we will look at this week will often have a common thread running almost through all of them: the views, positions, and opinions of the majority of Americans are often the exact opposite of the views and related actions that our politicians own. Since we are supposed to be living in a representative government system one would hope that the laws, rules, and government functions that our politicians oversee reflect the thinking, hopes, and views of the American citizenry.
As the numbers will usually show, that is nowhere close to reality, which I think reflects two underlying negative trends:
- American politicians vote and act for their own personal interests first, Americans’ interests and well being being of secondary consideration. If a politician’s actions can get them more votes or more campaign cash for their perpetual reelection campaigns, than that is their priority, usually not the priorities of their constituents.
- Second, I personally believe that today’s American politicians take care of their special interest friends and financiers first and foremost, and the interests of those special interest friends (e.g.unions, corporations, lobbyists, etc.) are usually not in alignment with what the majority of Americans have as their priorities.
1) We have already shown this week that surveys of Americans show that they are more in favor of the Second Amendment than those that are not. This reality of the numbers puts them in direct opposition to people like Obama and Hillary Clinton who would confiscate every law abiding citizens’ guns tomorrow if they could weasel out a way to do it.
But if the following chart and its load of numbers from the Federalist Papers website is to be believed, as published in an article by Brittany Soares, the crime numbers over time prove that the Second Amendment and the right to bear arms plays a major factor in keeping down violent crime rates:
Historical numbers are pretty clear: more gun control equals more murders simply because murderers and criminals do not obey laws including gun control laws. That is why they are called criminals.
Ms. Soares summarizes these chart numbers very nicely: “Year after year, stories of law-abiding citizens defending themselves and others with legal weapons continue to undercut the arguments of the anti-gun left. Areas that have seen gun regulations loosened continue to see lower murder rates. It turns out that if decent people have the right to defend themselves against violence, they will. Who knew, right?
That’s why it’s so important that those who believe in limited government be willing to stand up for the primacy of the “boisterous sea of liberty” while acknowledging that it does indeed have its waves. Because a free and armed citizenry is not only the cause for gun crime, it is also the solution to it.”
2)The city of Chicago has some of the strictest gun control laws in the world. Thus, if Obama and Clinton were correct, than the numbers would show that Chicago is a crime free Shangrila. However, the latest crime numbers from that city would prove them totally wrong, as recently reported by Breitbart:
- In September, 2015, there were 59 murders and 362 gunshot victims in the city.
- This was the city’s deadliest month since 2002 despite stricter gun control laws passed over time.
- The last two weekend of the month witnessed more than 50 people shot each weekend.
- This compares to 40 people shot each weekend in the previous month of August in the city.
- As a result Chicago Police Supt. Garry McCarthy laid out the police to attack illegal guns, including a new program that assigns a dedicated detective to gun cases who will track the “origin and flow” of the firearms involved.
- Jobs programs for adults and youth.
- Community centers.
- Street level intervention programs to speak to youngsters in their language about violence and drugs.
- Provide hope.
More numbers tomorrow.
It is also available online at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Please pass our message of freedom onward. Let your friends and family know about our websites and blogs, ask your library to carry the book, and respect freedom for both yourselves and others everyday.
Please visit the following sites for freedom:
Term Limits Now: http://www.howmuchworsecoulditget.com