- Over 500 Chicago residents have already been homicide victims this year compared to 480 for all of 2015.
- At this rate, CNN predicts that close to 700 will die violently in the city by the end of 2016.
- 70% of 100 Cook County jailinmates who were surveyed said that obtained their weapons from fellow gang members, friends, and family members, meaning that tightening anyone’s ability to obtain a gun legally will have little impact on the ability of a criminal to get their hands on a weapon.
- Writing recently for the Chicago Tribune, Anita Alvarez explains how busted the criminal justice system is in Chicago: “Under our current statutes, a felon who is convicted of carrying a firearm in public serves less than half of the sentence imposed by a judge or jury — about 15 months. When a violent street gang member is arrested on the streets of Chicago with a loaded gun, he or she typically serves just 12 months, also a fraction of the sentence imposed. To be very frank, these criminals know and understand our system. Gang members themselves tell our prosecutors that Illinois gun laws are "a joke."
- 63% of Chicago parolees will commit another crime within 12 months of their release from prison.
- Nykea Aldridge, a Chicago resident who was recently killed by gun violence and who is a cousin of NBA basketball star Dwayne Wade, was murdered by two brothers who combined had been arrested 24 times, had spent only a combined total of 11 years in jail despite having been sentenced to over 26 years in jail in 2009 but somehow were on parole when they murdered Ms. Aldridge.
- The Obama administration has done little to help Chicago apprehend, prosecute and keep violent offenders in jail which is especially sad since Chicago was his hometown before moving to Washington.
- According to the article: “The rise in gun violence is also due to the police being hamstrung by the Left. As Heather Mac Donald explained in a column for The Wall Street Journal in June, members of the Chicago Police Department have become handcuffed to false charges of racism after the Laquan McDonald shooting as well as the American Civil Liberties Union forcing the police department to fill out forms that the ACLU has to approve of. Consequently, police stops have declined by 90 percent in Chicago, and now the city is in its deadliest year in 20 years.”
- More than half of Chicago kids live in single parent households, making them much more likely to drop out of school, join a gang, and become criminals, a far more likely life path vs. kids that have been raised in two parent households.
This was proven again via a recent Politico article that summarized a survey from an Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania:
- Thirty five percent of those polled could not name a single branch of the U.S. government.
- Not name all three branches, they could not name a SINGLE branch.
- Only 27% could correctly answer the question on many votes are need in Congress to override a Presidential veto.
- Sixty one percent could not successfully answer the question of which political party controlled the House of Representatives today.
- Kathleen Hall Jamieson, director of the Annenberg Public Policy Center issued a statement with the results: “Although surveys reflect disapproval of the way Congress, the President and the Supreme Court are conducting their affairs, the Annenberg survey demonstrates that many know surprisingly little about these branches of government.”
- China, Russia and Iran have beaten down freedom in their own countries while expanding their sphere of influence over others around the world.
- Allies of the U.S. have also been busy beating down freedom in their own countries of Turkey, the Philippines, and Thailand.
- Many oppressive countries that experimented with freedom, e.g. Egypt, Bahrain, and Malaysia, have regressed back to oppressive ways.
- Freedom House, which tracks freedom around the world, estimates that over the past decade, the level of freedom has declined in 105 countries and improved in only 61 countries.
- Mr. Hiatt puts a lot of the blame on Obama since “human rights were never a priority” for him and that “in his dealings with Iran, Cuba, China and other authoritarian countries, Obama has prioritized stability , and overlooked those countries brutal suppression of dissent.”
It is also available online at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Please pass our message of freedom onward. Let your friends and family know about our websites and blogs, ask your library to carry the book, and respect freedom for both yourselves and others everyday.
Please visit the following sites for freedom:
Term Limits Now: http://www.howmuchworsecoulditget.com